Saturday, July 10, 2010

I like to feel superior.

Maybe we weren't all created equal. As I look around, I'm coming to the conclusion that some people are better than others. We weren't all created equal. I consider myself better than some. In fact, superior. And not as good as others. In fact, inferior. Maybe that's a hard pill to swallow. Being inferior. More difficult than being superior. But hey, let's be honest. Life can be a struggle. And maybe it comes down to survival of the fittest. That especially goes in a capitalist society. The sad thing, it seems to me, is that we often lose sight of the common good. Preferring, instead, to serve only the individual good. In selfish ways. There should be a delicate balance. I want the individual good protected. But I also want what's good for society as a whole. And I see that being achieved, in part, by a significant narrowing of the gap between the rich and the poor. The problem is that the capitalist-minded rich generally want to do pretty much as they damn well please. Even if they exploit others, and moreorless ignore the common good. I like to think of myself as superior to these people. And I like that feeling. --Jim Broede

No comments: