Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm not gonna miss the USA.

I'm gonna be away from the American news media for a month or so. And that's a blessing. I am learning to abhor the media. For being highly partisan. Distorted. Inaccurate. And I used to be a member of the media. As a writer for newspapers. Most of my life in it. But times have changed. And I don't like it. We're being fed crap. Misinformation. Lies. Inane sound bites. I know how to pick up some reliable and accurate information. But it's difficult. Because so many news outlets cannot be trusted any more. The likes of Fox News, for instance. Or idiot pundits such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. Heaven help us. Because these guys are taken seriously. By many, many Americans. They're so idiotic that at times I think it's all a put-on. They're pulling our legs. They're jokers. Comedians. But apparently they are deadly serious. And I mean deadly in effect. Because they have followers. True believers. Maybe some day we'll wake up. And shake our heads. And wonder why a Limbaugh or a Beck became so popular. But it happens. Not so many years ago the Germans fell for Adolph Hitler. Seems preposterous. But it happens. History is dotted with moments of insanity. People following crazy leaders. But in modern times, we are getting even crazier. And I think it' because the media feeds the frenzy. Makes things up. For the sake of ratings. For the entertainment value. Look at our politicians. Playing to the media. And the media playing to the politicians. They're all in bed together. Anyway, thank gawd. I'm leaving the country. For a month. Maybe longer. I'm in no hurry to return. I'm not gonna miss the USA. Especially the media. --Jim Broede

No comments: