Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One of my biggest blessings.

I have a German cousin I never knew I had. Until 10 years ago. Fritz. And he's taken me back to my roots. Way back. To the 1600s. In Switzerland. My ancestors on my father's side of the family came to Germany after the 30 Years War. Fritz and I shared the same grandfather four generations ago. Back around 1800. His name was Valentine Broede. When I retired in 1998, I didn't even know who my great grandfather was. And I knew little of my grandfather. Other than I erroneously thought he came from Hamburg, the big city in the north of Germany. Turns out he was from a small village just outside of Homburg, in the Saarland, in southwest Germany, near the French border. He probably was an illegal immigrant. Sneaked into the U.S. around 1900. It's a long story how I learned all this. Anyway, I also discovered Fritz along the way. He turned 70 on Aug. 12. I was at his birthday bash. Fritz and his wife Monika are godsends. Fritz has become my closest and dearest relative. Spiritually speaking. Even closer to me than my brother and sister. He's given me a new-found sense of family. Camaraderie. Fritz and I keep visiting each other. This last time, I brought along my girlfriend from Italy. My true love. After all, I wanted her to meet the family. The real and closest family. Italians are big on family. I like that. Albeit, I moreorless ignored family for the first 60 years of my life. But I am making up for it. I suppose I have Fritz to thank for my turn around. He's been one of my biggest blessings. --Jim Broede

No comments: