Saturday, September 11, 2010

The dream is real. So very real.

I got up this morning. And reminded myself that I like being alive. My girlfriend has been away. In Oberhausen. In Germany. Where she was a judge in an English writing contest. She'll be back in Italy later today. And I'll connect with her. On Skype. An audio-video hook up. We connect on Skype every day. When she's at home. Telephoned her in Oberhausen the last two nights. I expect to start living with her in winters. For a month or two. In Italy. And then she'll join me in Minnesota for the summer. And inbetween, we'll connect in exotic cities. Like we did recently. In Iceland. And Germany. Let me tell you. This is the good life. I'm turning 75 today. Yes, on 9/11. I'm so happy that I've lived this long. In good health. And in love. Hard for me to remember when I wasn't in love. With Jeanne. We spent 38 years together. Until Jeanne died of complications from Alzheimer's. Several years ago. I'm still in love with Jeanne's spirit. But I'm also in love with a real live human being. Savoring life. Trying to live to the fullest. I'm beginning to think that's the only way to live. It's as if I'm living a dream. That I'm a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. You know what? The dream is real. So very real. --Jim Broede

No comments: