Thursday, September 23, 2010

I have my priorities.

I used to like to take pictures. Photographs. And I became very good at it. Because I worked at it. I carried a camera with me all the time. And I looked for scenes. For happenings. For things I could photograph. Often in unusual ways. Artistic ways. Photography also became part of my workday. But eventually, I lost interest. Because I focused more and more time on writing. I made a choice. I'd rather write than take pictures. Sure, I could have done both. And I did for a while. But I concluded that to do a decent job of writing, I had to devote more time to it. So something had to be sacrificed. Yes, photography. Oh, I'd like to do a million things. Become good at 100 things. But it's a 24-hour day. And I need eight hours of sleep. So I have to make choices. So I make time for writing. And the pursuit of love. Some days, that's all I do. I have my priorities. --Jim Broede

No comments: