Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I learned that I really cared.

Maybe we all should be care-givers. To the people in our lives. Care-giving should be a natural part of living. And often, it isn't. That's why care-givers for sick people, such as Alzheimer patients, have a very difficult time of it. They aren't used to care-giving. It's a totally new thing for them. And far too much to handle. Sometimes, we don't even want to take care of our loved ones. But they need care. Even when they are healthy. Tender loving care, really. We all need care. But we don't necessarily get it. We are left to fend for ourselves. And I suppose most of us can do it. Successfully. But still, it would be nice to get an assist. Even when we don't particularly need it. As an act of love. That would keep us in practice. And we'd be honing our care-giving skills. For when they are really needed. In dire situations. I think love triggers a desire to be a care-giver. That's really what care-giving should be. An act of love. But it's also good to have professional care-givers, who don't necessarily do it for love. But just to earn a living. That's all right, too. Some of 'em are very skilled at it. And often, their motivation is to be of service to people in need. When I first started taking care of my dear Jeanne, after she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I wasn't sure that I would be very adept at it. But hey, I learned. And most of all, I learned that I was very much in love with Jeanne. And that I really cared. --Jim Broede

No comments: