Wednesday, September 29, 2010

So many ways to balance one's life.

Alzheimer care-givers need diversions. In addition to respite. Some of 'em tell me that even when they take time off and socialize with other people, they often find themselves talking only about Alzheimer's. They are totally pre-occupied with the devastating disease and their role as care-giver. There's no escaping it. And that drives some care-givers a bit nuts. And they wonder what they can do about it. That's where diversions come in. I found that when I was moreorless a full-time care-giver to my Jeanne, I had to fall in love. With something. I took to reading. Good literature. I took to music. Listening to and appreciating music. I also cultivated my love for nature. And gardening. I went for long walks. In the woods. Along the lakeshore. I savored moments of solitude. Yes, all sorts of diversions. I'm a writer, and I've always been in love with writing. So I embraced my writing. On all kinds of subjects. Of course, many of the care-givers I encounter are caring for a parent. And those care-givers are fortunate if they are in love, with a friend or a spouse. Love of another human being may be the nicest diversion of all. But hey, if one doesn't have a close friend at the moment, then I suggest falling in love with some aspect of life. Such as literature, music or nature. So many, many options. So many ways to balance one's life. Even during the most difficult of times. --Jim Broede

No comments: