Monday, September 27, 2010

I'm siding with the Muslims.

Doesn't matter to me which religion becomes the dominant one in the USA. Some day, it might well be Islam. Rather than Christianity. Actually, it would be nice to see Christianity given a run for its money. As far as religions go, I have an attitude of live and let live. Let them all flourish. Or all fail. As long as we have separation of state and church, it's okay with me. I don't wanna interfere with any religion, and I don't want any religion to interfere with me. Let's just go our own ways. Of course, I'm a free-thinker. Which means I have strong spiritual beliefs, but I don't belong to any organized religion. I prefer direct contact with god. No go-betweens, no middle clergy. I'm capable of figuring out things for myself. Personally, I find most organized religions entertaining. And amusing. I'll enter a church now and then. To marvel at the architectural beauty. And to listen to the music, preferably chamber or orchestral. Mozart composed several church sonatas that send me into ecstacy. I'm not so keen on his requiem. I'm not much on hymns either. But I like mesmerizing chants. I like to study religions. And I even occasionally audit a course at a local liberal seminary. They welcome virtually anyone. Evidenced by me. Just for kicks, I'd like to some day earn a degree in divinity. Anyway, getting back to Islam. I think Muslims are increasing in numbers in the USA. Which may scare some conservative Christians. But that's all right. I like to see Christians a little bit apprehensive. Some of 'em are opposed to a 15-story Islamic Center being built a few blocks from Ground Zero in New york City. But I'm all for it. Partly because some idiot Christians are against it for no earthly reason. --Jim Broede

No comments: