Saturday, September 18, 2010

Loverboy gleefully does his job.

I have good rapport with my male cat, Loverboy. We understand each other. Loverboy knows when to be totally loving. And when to be not so loving. With me, Loverboy is supposed to display a good disposition. Always. With mice, he's to turn into a unrepentent killer. I don't care if it's a cute little baby mouse or a full-grown adult mouse. They are not welcome to reside in our abode. Loverboy sees to it. Pronto. If he sniffs the presence of a mouse, he goes on high alert. Round-the-clock. Until the mouse becomes clamped in his lethal jaws. I know when a mouse has sneaked into the house. Loverboy becomes vigilant. If necessary, he'll forsake sleep. And stay up for a full 24 hours. Until there's a dead mouse. My rapport isn't as good with my female cat, Chenuska. She's fat and lazy. A mouse could crawl right over her and she'd not bother. She's indifferent. Maybe it's a live-and-let-live attitude. But I find that hard to tolerate. I want mice to stay in their place. Outside the house. But I've learned to tolerate Chenuska's laziness. Only because Loverboy gleefully does the work of two cats. --Jim Broede

No comments: