Friday, September 10, 2010

The right to decide what is right.

I've always had a strong sense of right and wrong. Even when I was a kid. And I usually did what was right. In my mind. That didn't necessarily mean it was right. It was my perception of right. And on reflection, I've been wrong on numerous occasions. That's why I don't take a holier-than-thou attitude. Because upon reflection, I'm not so certain there are any absolute rights and wrongs. It comes down to individual choice. And I suspect that's the way god meant it to be. What's right for one being may be wrong for another. That's why we are supposed to be relatively non-judgmental. Of course, I am judgmental. Too often. I have great disdain for Republicans, for instance. Especially those from the lunatic fringe of the party. Maybe the irony of it all is that I probably started out life as a Republican. I leaned Republican when I was a teen-ager. I was sort of a super patriot. I thought my country could do no wrong. I was stupid. Now I see myself as enlightened. But maybe not, I concede. Give me another 20 years and I may have radically different ideas about right and wrong. I just do what I think is right at the moment. But I'm in a state of flux. My opinions and outlooks change. I'm constantly learning. And I don't hesitate to let people know what's on my mind. I may challenge their stances and opinions. And maybe even poke fun at 'em. But I respect their right to decide what is right -- for them, that is. Not for me. --Jim Broede

No comments: