Thursday, October 21, 2010

I'll live in love until my dying day.

Maybe I'm wrong. But it seems to me that there are more religious and political extremists/fanatics populating the Earth today than 30 or 40 years ago. It's possible that I wasn't paying attention in my younger days. Or possibly the media wasn't into keeping us informed. Anyway, there seems to be an uneasiness that pervades. A fear that permeates the land. That we can't trust each other. Because wackos have taken over the world. Just look at the political candidates running in the mid-term elections. I mean, some of 'em are out of their minds. Yet, favored to win or make the races close. With tens and hundreds of thousands of votes. It's downright scary. I suppose it's not any more scary than when Hitler and Stalin and other despots took power. It just seems so. Maybe because modern day despots have found more efficient and deadly ways to exert power and terror. Some day, even a lone lunatic may get his/her hands on a weapon of mass destruction. And cause as much horrific destruction as a vast army. Maybe it means the end of civilization as we know it. I have a feeling that we are gonna have to get used to living in an unfree world. With severe restrictions on what we are allowed to do and where we can go. Just for the sake of security. It's getting so that we have to wear blinders. And block out what's going on in the rest of the world. In order to live happily. I keep doing that. Creating my own little dream world. In which I can live as a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. I'm not gonna surrender. I'm gonna be me. I ain't gonna live in fear. I'm gonna live in love. Until my dying day. --Jim Broede

No comments: