Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm a good psychotherapist.

Maybe I've avoided depression because I practice psychotherapy. Virtually every day. I talk to myself. I analyze myself. In a sense, I treat myself daily. I try to understand what's going on inside me. And if I don't like it, I adjust. If I'm going negative, for instance, I steer onto a more positive channel. I discipline myself. I'm not saying this would work for others. But it works for me. Sure, I lose it sometimes. I become downbeat. Sad. Annoyed. Even angry. But I deal with the negativity quickly. And put it into perspective. And if there's a problem, I try to solve it. Only then will I be at ease. And it gives me satisfaction. Knowing that I can find solutions. Often, I can choose from multiple alternatives. I know that I'm supposed to be a depressed being. Because my father, my mother, my sister and my brother all grappled with depression. Like it's in the family genes. Maybe I was adopted. And mom and dad never told me. But more likely, I've found an effective way to deal with potential depression. By becoming a good psychotherapist. --Jim Broede

No comments: