Saturday, November 27, 2010

The ability to love each other.

I like to be able to think. Of simple things. Such as watching my black cat, Chenuska. Looking out the sliding glass doors. At a wintry scene. A snow-covered deck. And I wonder, what is she thinking? Does she see beauty? Is she enthralled? Does she wish for going outdoors? Or does she know she'd freeze off her tail? I know for certain that Chenuska enjoys simple pleasures. If I rub the top of her head and massage her neck, she'll purr. Her way of asking for more. Of being content. When I open a can of food, Chenuska is familiar with the sound. She comes running from the other side of the house. Knowing she'll be fed. Apparently, the sound triggers the thought, 'I have the opportunity to be fed.' And I wonder if Chenuska has the making of a soul in that mind of hers. A cat soul. And is it somewhat similar to a human soul? Is all life precious? I'm fascinated. Because I'm able to communicate with Chenuska. And she's able to communicate with me. We share a consciousness of sorts. Even the ability to appreciate and love each other. --Jim Broede

No comments: