Thursday, November 11, 2010

Falling in love with a place.

I have a dream. That by the end of the year, I'll be living on an island in the Mediterranean Sea. In Sardinia. I'll be there for the winter. In my new-found paradise. I'll see things I've never seen before. Absorbing new experiences. Learning a new language. But also speaking a language I already know. The language of love. Once upon a time, I thought my paradise would be in the South Seas. Maybe in Tahiti. But life takes some unusual twists. And instead, I'll be in the Mediterranean. On an island settled by the ancient Phoenicians. Also an island discovered and appreciated by one of my favorite writers, D. H. Lawrence. He wrote a book, 'The Sea and Sardinia.' Which I've read time and time again. Maybe I can follow in Lawrence's footsteps. Walk the same ground. See the same sea. And fall in love with a place. --Jim Broede

No comments: