Monday, November 15, 2010

That's the way it is.

I think it's good to have a social conscience. For government and society as a whole to come to the aid of people in need. To make the poor less poor. To help the unfortunate. To make it easier for everyone to survive. And to even thrive to some reasonable extent. In the process that may make the rich less rich. Because social programs cost money. And who can best afford paying for the common good? Yes, the people with lots of moola. Of course, many of the rich and fortunate don't like that idea. And in some sense, I can't blame 'em. They'd like to decide for themselves how they spend their money. And they don't want the government taking from them to give to the poor. The rich never did like Robinhood. Anyway, all I know is that I'm not rich. Nor am I poor. And I pay taxes. And I don't mind it. Especially the portion of my taxes that go into social programs for the needy. I have a social conscience. I'm willing to do my part for the common good. Sure, it'd be nice if I could keep all of my money. But I'm willing to pay for my government. Local, state, federal. I'll even pay something for international or world government. I'm sold on the idea of government. On government regulation, too. But I don't particularly like paying for wars. Or national defense. But I'm stuck. I gotta pay my taxes. Knowing full well that not all of the money goes where I want it to go. But that's life. That's government. Nothing's perfect. I put up with so much. Just because that's the way it is. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rich, who is rich, the guy who retires from a government job at 90 to 100% of his salary. Obama and the Demo have increased salary of more civil service works to over $100,000 than any administration before. So we have career CS workers retiring, after 25 to 30 yrs, 55 to 60 yrs old on $100,000. They never pay a dime in SS taxes. Take the small business man who owes a store, employs 5 people, pays their wage and benefits 45 yrs. He, today nets about 100,000 a year. He can retire at 66.5 yrs on SS. The most he can draw is about 14,400 a yrs. He contributed 15% of his net from the store for 45 yrs, to SS. He gets pittance of it back. The guy that makes a million a yr may also be creating good jobs for 30 people. Jobs that pay school taxes and all the other taxes. Jobs that no tax payer has to subsidize. He pays 36% of that million in taxes, why do you want him to pay more, just because he can. Why not reward him with 10% income taxes if he will double the the number of people he employees at a good wage.

Broede's Broodings said...

The rich are the millionaires and billionaires and the big corporations and the Wall Street bankers. I'm for making everyone earning more than $250,000 a year pay more taxes. And not raising taxes on those making less than $250,000. That would serve the common good, it seems to me. --Jim