Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why the world is in a mess.

I don't believe in living a completely private life. That is, for me. I'll let others make their own choices. Since I was a youngster, I ventured into the public domain. By publishing my own neighborhood newspaper when I was in the 6th grade. It was my way of letting people know what I was all about. And at the same time an opportunity for me to learn what the world was all about. To moreorless operate in the public domain. To have no secrets. To have openness. I wasn't gonna be anonymous. And my intent was to put the spotlight on other people. In a sense, I've always wanted the sun to shine in. To let everyone know what's going on behind the scenes. To be nosey. And in the process to arouse curiosity all the way around. So much of what happens in the world is done quietly and secretly. In an effort to get away with things that ain't right. Therefore, my instinctive quest has long been for openness. On the people's right to know. It was a natural for me to write for local newspapers. Used to be that newspapers were a main source of information. Yes, a free press. Of course, newspapers have become less of an integral part of public enlightenment. New technology has changed all that. Now we flock to the computer. And to television and radio. And sadly, the sound bites. We want our news/information in capsule form. And around the clock. Thus, the 24-hour news cycle. Even if there isn't legitimate news to report. We prefer to be entertained rather than informed. We really don't know what's going on anymore. Because we don't take the time to become knowledgeable. We have donned blinders. And blocked out reality. Little wonder that the world is in a mess. --Jim Broede

No comments: