Friday, December 3, 2010

If that's what it takes, so be it.

I rant and rave about the state of politics in the USA. But in reality, there's nothing I can really do about it. I can't affect the big picture. What will happen, will happen. No matter what I do as an individual. My action, my presence won't make a difference. So I guess I have to learn to live with it. I can control my relationship with another human being. Someone close to me. But I can have virtually no impact on a big event. Such as the national election in 2012. In a sense, it's all predetermined. Of course, there may be powerful characters/forces on the scene that do influence the outcome. Look at the guy (Lee Harvey Oswald) that shot JFK 47 years ago. Changed the entire course of history. But I'm not that kind of player. And I really wouldn't want to be. I'll just let things happen. Rather than play god. And pretty much accept life the way it comes. Except, I can make a few choices that directly affect my life. And maybe a few people around me. In little ways. Things that may have a significant and long-term ripple effect. Certainly on my life. And my Italian girlfriend's life. That's because I'm dedicated to the pursuit of happiness. Dedicated to being a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. Even an optimist. In my own way. Sure, my actions may be dependent on some events around me. But not on the outcome of the next national election. I'm still gonna try to live life in my own way. Maybe I'm fooling myself. But hey, if that's what it takes, so be it. --Jim Broede

No comments: