Friday, December 17, 2010

My search for significance.

I like to have time on my side. Never having to be in a hurry. Taking time to think. And ponder. I am always looking. For something significant. Without really knowing what’s significant. Therefore, I have to make my own significance. Like the other day. When I went shopping with a friend. She was looking for a key-maker. In a shopping center. And we looked and looked. Unable to find the place for a while. Because we really didn’t know to look in the unlikeliest of places. In a tiny, secluded corner of an underground parking ramp. I had to wonder. Why there, of all places? How strange. But I am in another country. In Italy. On the island of Sardinia. And I thought, how unique. We Americans would never have thought of putting a key-maker’s shop in a remote corner of an underground parking ramp. But the key-maker seemed busy. And there was a table of knick-knacks for sale just outside the door. Including two stool-like chairs sculpted from wood and shaped like the palm of a hand. With the fingers serving as the back-rest. Never seen anything like that before. But now I am disappointed in myself. Because I didn’t sit down and test the chairs for comfort. But I’m determined to go back. To test the chairs. To learn how they were made. And whether this is an ancient Sardinian craft. –Jim Broede

No comments: