Thursday, December 16, 2010

Two strangers I came to know.

When I travel by plane to Italy, or any place for that matter, I don't allow passengers seated next to me to remain strangers. The woman was reading a book and writing copious notes. "Pardon me," I said, "but am I allowed to be curious? I want to know what that is you are reading, and why?" She's positively responsive. She's exploring the spiritual nature of life. In an attempt to get her hectic life in order. She's also a stewardness flying for free. In first class, too. From Minneapolis to Philadelphia. And she lives in Lakeville, Minnesota. Her husband is originally from Charlotte, North Carolina. And they eventually plan on moving back to Charlotte. Partly to escape Minnesota winters. Yes, so many ways to make for a better, more comfortable life. Nicer weather. But first, she's all-out to improve the spiritual climate of her life. She's taking to religion. Non-denominational. And I explain that I am spiritual, too. But not religious. A free-thinker. I steer clear of organized religions. Anyway, we hit if off. We connect. I've achieved my goal. Of getting to know something significant about a stranger sitting next to me. Just by chance. And I don't quit. Next to me on the flight from Philadelphia to Rome is another woman. In her 20s. A graduate student at the Universitry of Maryland. One semester away from a master's degree in psychology. She's from Baltimore. I learn her life history. Even that her parents' marriage broke up after 13 years. But that they are both still civil with each other. Meanwhile, the woman is having a bit of bad luck. Her inflight screen for movies is on the fritz. Gone blank. And it can't be fixed. So I offer her the opportunity to connect to my screen. Because I'm really not interested in watching a movie. I'd rather read a book and study the passengers. She accepts my offer. And later asks, "You really don't mind, do you?" And I assure her, "I'm positive. Now enjoy the movie." --Jim Broede

1 comment:

un-speackable love 2 said...

hi nice blog , i'm new at blogging and liked your blog hope you'll also like mine please visit it , all the best wishes .
http://unspeackablelove2.blogspot.com/