Monday, December 27, 2010

No other place I'd like to be.

I don’t know why anyone born and raised in Sardinia would want to leave the place. It’s Paradise. In terms of scenic beauty. And with a relatively mild climate. Warm enough for cacti and palm trees. And mountains. And rocky seashores on the Mediterranean Sea. I’m in love with the sea and Sardinia. My only regret is that I don’t speak the native Sardinian language. Or Italian, the predominant language. I have to get by with English and a little broken Italian. Fortunately, my Italian girlfriend speaks fluent English. Maybe better than me. Anyway, I’m counting my blessings. And I’m dreaming of spending winters in Sardinia. Ain’t a bad idea. Because I’m a Minnesotan. And I’d just as soon flee my home state during times of snow and sub-zero temperatures. I haven’t checked today’s weather reports from Minnesota. Because I’ve been busy enjoying the sunny 60-degree day on the cliff-lined Cala Domestica beach on the southwest coast of Sardinia. Only a 20-minute drive of mountainous hair-pin turns from the inland locale where I’m staying. In the lovely city of Carbonia, All I can say is ‘My gawd, life is very good.' There’s no other place on Mother Earth that I’d like to be at the moment. –Jim Broede

No comments: