Friday, December 10, 2010

That beats disliking 'em.

I have favorite people. My girlfriend, for instance. And I like myself, too. That's very important. Liking one's self. Too many people have a disdain for themselves. That's not good. I have learned to like myself by becoming what I want to be. A romantic idealist. A free-thinker. A liberal. A lover. And I like my girlfriend because she's what she wants to be. Her own being. Not like me. But different. And I have no desire to change her. I can accept her. Pretty much on an unconditional basis. Of course, I can't do that with everyone. But for the most part, I'm able to ignore 'em. They aren't a big part of my life. They go their way. I go mine. But if we have to interact, I find a way. Actually, I like to find ways to get along with people I don't like. And amazingly, I sometimes find ways to like 'em. That beats disliking 'em. --Jim Broede

No comments: