Friday, December 10, 2010

Learning the nature of happiness.

I have a positive impression of black people. In general. The ones I know tend to be happier than white people. Maybe that's all my imagination. And it's not real. I think black people have more fun in life. They know what's important. The spirit. The soul. More than material things. Maybe it's because they've been deprived. And they've accumulated less than white folks. Certainly, their incomes are lower. And the jobless rates are higher. I think that's a dirty rotten shame. Due in part to long-standing white racist political, economic and social systems in the USA. Life really shouldn't be all that much different because of the color of one's skin. But I'm sure it is. Because of the racist nature of our society. My life would have been quite different if I had been born black. I would have been sort of disadvantaged. Discriminated against. I know there are angry black people. Because of it. But still, so many of 'em have risen above it. Much better than I would have. And my heroes are the ones that have coped. Rather magnificently. By learning the true nature of happiness. --Jim Broede

No comments: