Saturday, December 4, 2010

To hell with the super rich.

In the early stages of the civil rights movement in about 1962, when I went to work for newspapers in Florida, I was disappointed in many black people. For not being militant enough. Some of 'em were far too docile. Maybe because they had been oppressed and suppressed for so many generations. I didn't head to Florida to join the movement. But I soon did. When I saw the way black people were treated. It was gawd-awful. I even got myself appointed to the executive board of a local NAACP chapter. And I advocated militancy. Demonstrations. Protests. And astounding as it may seem, many black people had to be prodded into protesting. Into becoming militant. Into proclaiming that they weren't gonna take disgraceful foul treatment any more. Nowadays, I find that many folks, both white and black, aren't militant enough. Mainly, poor people and the middle class. They have been flagrantly mistreated in recent decades. Evidenced by the alarming widespread gap between the rich and the poor. It's a dirty rotten shame. Almost equivalent to the longtime denial of civil rights to black people. Fortunately, the blacks became militant in the 1960s. And won their rights. But meanwhile, many of us middle class Americans are sitting on our hands and doing virtually nothing about economic disparity. When really, we need to become militant. And maybe even storm congress and Wall Street and the big private corporations to demand reform. Yes, let's take to the streets. And start hanging the power moguls and Republicans in effigy. Let's start scaring the daylights out of them. Let's seize control. Let's elevate the middle class to positions of power. And to hell with the super rich. --Jim Broede

No comments: