Thursday, December 30, 2010

Trying to warm up my heart.

I don’t like to anguish over personal problems. Or for that matter, over virtually any problem. I prefer getting directly to solutions. Some prefer starting with pity parties. They’d like me to tell ‘em, ‘You poor, pathetic soul. I feel so very sorry for you. Come lean on my shoulder and have a good cry.’ Instead, I tend to say, ‘Get over it. Things ain’t all that bad. We can solve the problem. No need to cry.’ Seems to me that’s the best way to alleviate distress. I hate feeling sorry for myself. Because that’s an indication that I’m not coping adequately with life. I generally apply the same criteria to other people. Encourage them to not feel sorry for themselves. To get on with life. Yes, that might make me seem a little cold-hearted. But it works for me. That’s the way I treat myself. Cold-heartedly. But maybe I’m learning to make concessions for other people. I’m trying to warm up my heart. Just a little bit. Especially for my friends. –Jim Broede

No comments: