Thursday, December 30, 2010

Life on the cheap.

I have a feeling that the cost of living may be less here in Sardinia than in the USA. So far, it’s based on anecdotal evidence. I’ll have a better idea after being here for three months, I’m sure. Seems to me Sardinians spend less here than I do when I’m living in Minnesota. Maybe it’s more a case that people here work for lower wages. Therefore, services don’t cost as much. A repairman was in today, to fix a few things around my friend’s house. And the bill was considerably less than I’d pay back at home. Now someone is building shelves in a storage room. He seems to be taking his good-natured time. But in the end, I’m guessing the bill will be less than in the states. Maybe substantially. Also, many of the products in grocery stores are cheaper here. Same goes for a cup of coffee at the snack bars. And the coffee is much better. The regular coffee is espresso. Which puts regular American coffee to shame. As for air fares to other cities in Europe, they are advertised as cheaper than the ones I get traveling in the United States. Gasoline prices are higher here. But the vast majority of people drive economy cars, with substantially more mileage efficiency. And I see more bicycles and motorcycles. And good mass transit. And oh, another thing. I’m able to stay here rent free. Another advantage of having an Italian girlfriend. She has a good deal, too, when she comes to Minnesota. Rent-free living. –Jim Broede

No comments: