Friday, January 14, 2011

A glimpse of a handsome devil.

My first Italian haircut. Got it today. From a barber named Antonino Patane. Kept my fingers crossed. Because I don't speak Italian. And he doesn't speak English. It was an old-fashioned barber shop. With a baber pole. Walked in. Maybe I was his first customer of the day. Two more came in later. I spoke some broken Italian. And he said something about Brooklyn. He's either been there. Or has friends or relatives there. Maybe I'll ask my true love to inquire. Next time we pass his barber shop. Because I'm curious. About his Brooklyn connection. Meanwhile, I think I learned the word for haircut. Capelli. Next time, I'll ask for a capelli. Showing off my new-found command of the Italian language. Antonino shaved my sideburns and back of the neck with a straight-edge razor. I hadn't had that done for a long, long time. The hairstylist I go to in Minnesota, a unisex shop that caters mostly to women, uses an electric shaver. And charges me $19. And I give her a $5 tip. Which makes a haircut come to $24. I paid Antonino 10 euros. Which comes to about $13. No tip. Because it's not expected in an Italian barbershop. Anyway, as I walked down the street, I looked at my reflection in the store windows. Thought I caught a glimpse of a handsome, well-groomed devil. --Jim Broede

No comments: