Wednesday, January 19, 2011

He's worse than worst.

I'm trying to understand the Italians' fascination with their prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi. Some Italians hate him. But the majority seem to love him, or at least tolerate him, if it's something short of love. Berlusconi is a rascal. Maybe a scoundrel. A filthy rich man. And he controls much of the Italian media. Owning TV stations. And Berlusconi does pretty much as he pleases. He's been accused of frequenting prostitutes. Even one under the age of 18. And he's facing prosecution related to his alleged philandering. He makes Bill Clinton's extra-marital affairs seem trivial in comparison. Anyway, Berlusconi survives one crisis after another. He's a celebrity. And he dominates most newscasts. Seems that so far, Berlusconi can get away with most anything. Maybe it's that Italians seem to like rule-breakers. They admire people who beat the system. But Berlusconi's critics, including my true love, claim he's a national disgrace. They want to get rid of him. Post haste. And they can't understand why he's tolerated. Well, I have to admit, I'm among those fascinated by Berlusconi. Because he's a gadfly. And he has a sense of humor. And he doesn't mind alienating people. A little bit like me, I suppose. Berlusconi isn't afraid to push his luck to the brink. But my true love says he's a manipulator who made his money with the help of the Mafia. And that he has laws written to exempt himself from prosecutuion. She thinks Berlusconi is Italy at its very worst. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if Berlusconi can be any worse than America's worst politicians. My true love says yes. He's worse than worst. --Jim Broede

No comments: