Thursday, January 20, 2011

I gotta keep on keeping.

I read the writings of my true love's students. She teaches English. To Italian teen-agers. And they do pretty good. Sometimes, they tend to express themselves in laborious English. Using 4 or 5 words. When one would suffice. But I understand what they are saying. And I applaud them for effort. If I could speak and write Italian as well as they do with English, I'd be happy. Jubilant. Gawd, I think. Wouldn't it have been nice if I was speaking Italian when I was a teen-ager? Or for that matter, any second language. That's one of my biggest regrets. That I never mastered a second or third language. I'm 75. And it's probably too late. But hey, maybe I can learn Italian in a perfunctory way. I gotta keep trying. Keep living. Keep learning. --Jim Broede

No comments: