Thursday, January 13, 2011

Makes me more Italian.

The Italian postal delivery system is atrociously slow. Makes the U.S. Postal Service seem like the model of efficiency. Of course, my experience with the Italian system has been exclusively with foreign mail. The mail I send to Italy. Or that I receive sooner or later in Italy. Generally, I figure delivery will take anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks. If a parcel arrives in less than a month, I’m surprised. All this, despite assurances from U.S. postal authorities, that they’ve delivered the package to Italy within 7 days, and often within 3 to 5 days. That’s where things get bogged down. For any number of reasons. Often, mail languishes in customs. Sitting there until it’s determined how the recipient can be made to pay a duty fee. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the procedure. Other than to hold up delivery just for the sake of it. To let people know that Italians are in no hurry. Right now, I’m in the fifth week of waiting for a delivery. I have no clue where it is. I’ll have to ask the sender to put a trace on it. Once a package leaves customs it’s usually routed through any number of private couriers. For delivery. Whenever they feel like it. I have to admit to grudging like of the ‘no hurry’ attitude of many Italians. Because it teaches me patience and acceptance. Especially of things I can’t change. That tends to slow me down. And makes me more Italian. –Jim Broede

No comments: