Thursday, January 20, 2011

My choice: Getting on with life.

I know so many people that don't count their blessings. Instead, they tell me everything going wrong in their lives. Often, trivial and inconsequential things. Nevertheless, they are despondent. And in despair. If not in outright clinical depression. And they accuse me of not understanding. And they could be right. Maybe I don't understand. Truly don't. Because I am baffled. I often see so much going right in their lives. So many reasons to be happy. But still, they refuse to be happy. Because their lives ain't perfect. I gotta admit. My life isn't perfect, too. Never was. Never will be. But still, I'm happy to be alive. And conscious. And in love. I suppose I'd like to be younger than I am. And to live forever. In good health. And maybe even have more money. More security. But I recognize I can't have everything. That's the nature of life. And I had better learn to accept that reality. And still be reasonably happy. As for today, I don't necessarily like everything that transpired. Around me. Or in the rest of the world. But generally, I can't do anything about it. I have a choice, I suppose. Lament. Or get on with life. I'm gonna choose the latter course. And count my many blessings. --Jim Broede

No comments: