Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I want to get to the truth.

Occasionally I’m accused of talking and writing too much. Of never shutting up. And getting too personal. Yes, I am advised to talk and write less. But such a complaint is a problem with civilization, generally. We don’t communicate effectively. And we speak and write too little. We aren’t nearly intimate enough. We never get to really know each other. Other than superficially. Because we hide too much of ourselves. I rarely cross paths with a truly open being. Of course, I think of myself as open. For the most part. And that scares some people. Especially when I accuse them of clamming up. I long ago became an advocate of openness. Especially when I was writing for newspapers. That’s how I got good stories. Good information. Seems to me that openness/truth sets one free. Brings one into the real world. I know people with emotional and mental problems and I suggest that many of these hang-ups stem from lack of candidness. Not only with others. But with themselves. Maybe they should talk more and write more. Even if it’s only to themselves. This probably holds true especially for couples trying to establish close and intimate relationships. How else can they truly get to know each other? Other than by openness. Personally, I have nothing to hide. Maybe that’s why I advocate openness. Doesn’t mean that everything I do is right and proper. It ain’t. But why hide it? My aim is to do the decent thing. Even though I don’t always do it. Sure, lots of people don’t feel like talking. Or sharing. And I must learn to respect that. But sometimes, I’d rather show a little lack of respect. Just to get someone to talk. Because I want to get to the truth. Maybe it’s only my truth. But that’s a good start. –Jim Broede

No comments: