Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I'm OK, even with a little bliss.

I wonder how many unhappy people could change their lives. Significantly. If they wanted to. My guess is that it's a fair number that could change. And if they don't, I question whether they really want to. They'd rather stay unhappy. In their present situation. Maybe they lack gumption. Or maybe they feel morally obligated to their present course. Even though they don't like it. For instance, it may be a dreadful marriage. But they choose to stick it out. Because a marriage break-up may cause other problems. Personally, I'm intrigued by unhappy people. I like to know what makes them tick. Could be it's an affliction. Depression. And they can't seem to do anything about it. Even a pill doesn't help. Nor psychological counseling. Too often, I see people focused on negative aspects of life. Even though there are many positives in their lives. But it's the negative that gets the emphasis. Maybe they want everything to be perfect. Not just 80 percent perfect. They want everything to fall into place. Like a grand design. Maybe I used to think that way. I wanted complete bliss. Which is ridiculous. Instead, I've learned to accept whatever I can get. Even if it's only a little bliss. Because bliss is bliss. And even a small amount makes me feel very blissful. --Jim Broede

No comments: