Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Let's retrieve the American soul.

I'm looking forward to coming home to America after an absence of almost three months. Because I like changes in my life. Changes in scenery. Going back and forth. To countries such as Italy. For extended periods of time. And then returning to Minnesota. With a fresh outlook. The contrasts I see from one country to another makes me more appreciative of 'em all. I like the diversity. I like to feel like a welcomed foreigner. Even in my own country. The experience has opened my mind. And my heart. Given me a better understanding of other people. And of myself, too. It was foreigners who made America what it is. A blending. A hodge-podge of people. Making dreams come true. But as we Americans became more settled, we also became more complacent. And corrupted. We learned to worship money. And forgot our lofty principles. We divided into social classes. Based on income. On money. The more money, the more status. The big money interests wield the political power. They run the show. And in the process, they have robbed America of its soul. And now we have to learn to retrieve our soul. Take it back. Take the money, too. And put it to good use. For the common good instead of for the exclusive good of the rich and powerful. --Jim Broede

No comments: