Wednesday, February 23, 2011

In clever and meaningful ways.

I'm caught between desires to change the world and to accept the world as it is. Maybe that's the dilemma we all face. The dilemma of mankind. In my younger days, I probably leaned more toward change. Now I'm probably tilted toward acceptance. Maybe I've learned that no matter how hard I try, I ain't got the power/ability to bring about the necessary change. I have to accept the world as I've found it, and make the best of it. Even the so-called undesirable stuff. Actually, if there's anything being changed, it's me. I can change myself. From within. My attitudes. My principles. My actions. But I can't do much with the world around me. Even with other people. They have to change themselves. I have to accept them. As they are. And that's a difficult challenge. Meanwhile, I know that there are people trying to change me. For one reason or another. But mainly to make me a comformist. To make me fit into their concept of what I should be. Fortunately, I have the ability to resist. I can still be myself. Me. To some great and significant extent. I can swim against the tide. I can be Sisyphus. I may have to roll my rock up the hill. But I can still try to thwart the gods. In clever and meaningful ways. --Jim Broede

No comments: