Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On capturing the moment.

I don’t capture enough moments. Not nearly enough. Moments that are meaningful. Memorable. Really, I should have those kinds of moments daily. That is, if I am truly alive. That worries me a little bit. That I may not be alive. Keenly aware of my existence. Some days, it’s difficult for me to recall anything meaningful that happened. Maybe because I wasn’t looking for anything meaningful. Meaningful stuff probably occurs around me all the time. But I don’t notice. Maybe it’s just a tiny detail. The song of a bird. A fragrant flower. The warmth of the sunshine. Instead, I’m just going through the motions of living. Without truly living. That’s what I’ve been thinking today In an effort to find something meaningful. Of course, it could be that I’m tired. From a meaningful weekend. Traveling through the mountains and valleys of Sardinia. And now I need a little respite. I was tired when my true love and I got home last night. I must have driven 300 kilometers. Much of it at night. The mountains were beautiful. But I couldn’t focus my full attention on the scenery. Because I was driving on winding mountain roads. Wasn’t wise to take my eyes off the road. Except when we stopped. I might be better off on a bus or a train. More opportunity to look. To see. And to capture the moments. –Jim Broede

No comments: