Friday, February 18, 2011

We're indifferent about politics.

I'm assuming that we Americans, for the most part, don't care much about politics. We're indifferent. Because we have other more important things to occupy us. Really doesn't matter whether there's a Republican or Democratic administration or Congress. Yes, there's a general apathy. Maybe that's why we get what we deserve. Bad politics. Bad government. Because we merely stay on the sidelines. We don't participate. We just let things happen. We take a ho-hum attitude. Maybe because we live at relatively decent standard. Doesn't matter to us that more and more people are living in poverty. As long as we aren't one of 'em. And we aren't all that concerned about the widening gap between the rich and poor. As long as we've got our share of the wealth. I complain about the state of our economic, social and political systems. But still, I'm probably more indifferent than concerned. Because I really don't do much about it. Other than to complain in places such as this blog. I don't work diligently enough for effective and practical change. I'm more a lamenter. I don't take to the streets. Like the people in Egypt. I don't become directly involved in any meaningful way. Because I have better things to do. Such as the pursuit of my love life. And living a life of relative leisure. Away from America. In Sardinia. And speaking of Sardinia, it's in Italy. And I gather that maybe a majority of Italians are indifferent about politics. Another reason why Silvio Berlusconi survives as prime minister despite his perceived corrupt regime and his alleged cavorting with under-aged prostitutes. No doubt, some Italians are incensed over the state of Italy's body politic. But the vast majority seem totally indifferent. Just like we Americans. --Jim Broede

No comments: