Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm gonna become a dandy.

I frequent thrift stores. And buy more than I need. But I also donate stuff. Lots of stuff. More than I buy. So I’m recycling stuff. It’s fun. For instance, the other day the thrift store had a 75 percent off sale on everything marked with a pink tag. Bought a batch of shirts and sweaters. Cost me about $1 each. Good stuff. New. Or almost new. Had to clean out my closets to hang the stuff. And yesterday, lo and behold, I bought a leather couch and love seat. Used. But in beautiful shape. No pink tag. Cost me $80 for the couch. And $40 for the matching love seat. Wow! Still a steal. It’s a burgundy color. A dark red. Replaces furniture I’ve had in my living room for maybe 30 years. Anyway, it has a masculine look about it. And I’m thrilled. By the new look. And, oh, so comfortable. I’ll spend more time in the living room now. The two pieces face each other. Several days ago I purchased a huge framed modern abstract painting. For $15. I had been looking for artwork to hang over a high-on-the-wall entry door to an attic storage area. Just off the living room. It’s perfect. The painting picks up the burgundy in the leather furniture. Now I’m looking through my newly purchased shirts and sweaters. For color apparel that matches the furniture and painting. I’m gonna become a dandy. Blending perfectly into the setting. –Jim Broede

No comments: