Friday, May 6, 2011

A dictatorship of the proletariat.

Retirement has been a godsend for me. In that it’s allowed me to slow down. To take life at a slower, more leisurely pace. It’s taught me something. That maybe the biggest mistake of my life was being in a hurry. Trying to do too much. Not getting adequate rest. I was a juggler. I was multi-tasked. Often spread too thin. Didn’t always have time to savor life. Now I take the time. Because I refuse to be in a hurry. I proceed at my own pace. A comfortable pace. And I don’t get ahead of myself. Because then I might feel overwhelmed. And out of sorts. I don’t like to make lists anymore. Because that only reminds me that I have too much to do. If I have a list, it's short enough for me to keep it mentally. Short enough to remember. I focus on what I’m doing. At the moment. And maybe one or two other things. And I let the less important things slide. Maybe that’s what I’ve been urging others to do. But it’s not easy. Especially if one isn't retired. Working people have more responsibilities than I do. But if I were still working, I suspect I’d be moving at a slower pace. I wouldn’t allow myself to be overworked. Because that’s self-defeating. I want quality. Not quantity. But in the work world, the emphasis and expectation is on quantity. On doing the work of two people. To work doubly hard. Just for the sake of working doubly hard. Earning one's keep, so to speak. For the organization. For the corporation. For the employer. Workers are being exploited. I would prefer a dictatorship of the proletariat. But in America we have a dictatorship of the managers, of the bosses, of the ruling elites. And they’d like to deprive the workers of their basic human rights. Even to the point of abolishing trade/labor unions. --Jim Broede

No comments: