Monday, May 23, 2011

God may take up baseball.

If I were god, I’d become a baseball player. Just for a lark. And play for the Chicago Cubs. That would make god the greatest baseball player ever. Uncanny. Almost unbelievable. And god would spur the Cubs on to their first World Series championship since 1908. That also would prove that god can perform miracles. Enough to make god a saint. I wonder if god comes to Earth and plays a role now and then. Maybe as Nelson Mandela. Or Abe Lincoln. Or that philosopher Jesus. Lord knows. Yes, only god knows. I have a suspicion that god comes down and joins us occasionally. In disguise. In order to get things done. If he left everything to humans, we’d destroy ourselves. We need god to intervene. Just to save us. Otherwise, we’d have been long gone by now. That’s why I don’t believe these kooks that routinely predict the end of the world. One of ‘em proclaimed that the world was gonna end last Saturday. At 6 p.m. I didn’t believe it for a minute. Because god told me he still wants to play baseball. –Jim Broede

No comments: