Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm giving full respect.

Imagine a black man learning to live in a white racist society. For white people, that would be like living in a black racist society. Yes, pretty hard to do. No matter which way one casts the racism. That’s why I have tremendous respect for Barack Obama. He’s learned to tread the narrow path. To survive the racism. And to even thrive in a racist society. By actually getting himself elected president despite the relatively rampant racism in the USA. In some ways, Obama has even gained the grudging respect of some racists. In a sense, he’s won over some of ‘em. Of course, it’s also helped that he got about 96 percent of the black vote. And he got my vote, too. And those of a fair number of liberals. Nary a Republican would vote for Obama. Because so many of ‘em are racists. Through and through. Some openly admit it. Others are in denial, and always will be. I’ve been an opponent of racism ever since I was a youngster. And as a white man, I’ve never fully grasped how it’s best to combat racism. I don’t wanna come across as a moralist. And keep telling racists shame on you. I’d rather do it in more subtle ways. And appeal to everyone’s sense of decency. Or just by being color blind. What if black and white always appeared to be the same color? One couldn’t tell the difference. It’s sort of like when I see white people. It’s difficult determining if they are of Irish or French or German or Italian descent. They all look pretty much the same as I walk down the streets of America. But usually I can tell a black man from a white man. Merely by the color of skin. And I was raised to differentiate. Because I was brought up in a racist society. I was exposed to racism right from the start. But it never seemed right. Because I imagined myself as being black. And I didn’t want to be treated the way black people were being treated. It’s that simple. I wanted respect. And believe me, unlike some racist Americans, I’m giving full respect and admiration to Barack Obama. –Jim Broede

No comments: