Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm a man of moderation.

I have to ride my bicycle only 35 miles today. To eclipse 1,000 miles for the month of May. And it’ll be the second month in a row I’ve reached the coveted 1,000 miles. So, it’ll be 2,000 miles since April 1. Anyway, that’s the equivalent of bicycling all the way from my home in Minnesota to Tucson in Arizona. Almost all the way to Mexico. And I think it’s one of the reasons why I’m down to a svelte 167 pounds. About 10 pounds lighter than when I returned from a winter in Sardinia in Italy. Most of my life, I’ve been a walker and a jogger and a runner. But I took up bicycling when I had a sore foot. The foot has healed. But I’m still bicycling. Generally, I try to go a minimum 30 miles a day. I occasionally go 50 miles. If I had to, I’m sure I could go 100 miles, or more. I don’t like to over-do it. In days when I did daily running or jogging, I’d occasionally go 13 miles. Half of a marathon. And I’m sure I could have run a marathon. If I had set my mind to it. But once again, I told myself, ‘Don’t over-do it.’ My true love thinks I over-do it when I bicycle 50 miles. But that ain’t true. I keep telling her that I’m a man of moderation. She doesn’t always believe me. –Jim Broede

No comments: