Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Loverboy, the profound mind-reader.

Loverboy is a scaredy cat. In that he doesn’t like to take his twice-a-day pills. Which I try to toss down his throat. He runs away. Hides. Or so he thinks he’s hiding. From me. The thing is Loverboy is smart. Perceptive. Intelligent. He seems to know. Automatically. When the thought occurs to me. That it’s time to give him his pill. Forcefully. I try to disguise my thought. But always, Loverboy seems to read my mind. It’s as if he has an extraordinary sense. A signal. That I have something evil on my mind. Foisting a pill down his throat. I even have the pill out. Ahead of time. So that I don’t have to fetch it from the bottle. I can have the pill in hand in an instant. But still, Loverboy knows. In an instant. He makes an instant beeline for a hiding place. Maybe under the bed. Or in a closet. But he should know better. I’ll find him. And then I’ll give him the pill. And I’ll soothe him. Pet his throat. To make sure the pill goes down. And soon we are the best of friends again. Maybe because Loverboy reads my mind. He knows there won’t be another pill to take. Until tonight. Or tomorrow morning. Maybe that’s it. Maybe Loverboy can tell time. But sometimes, I alter the time. By several hours. But still, Loverboy knows. He must be a profound mind-reader. –Jim Broede

No comments: