Monday, May 9, 2011

Loverboy takes his medicine.

My beloved cat Loverboy has an intestinal disorder. And so he’s to take some medicine for two weeks. Believe me. He doesn’t like to take medicine. So I thought I’d be clever. I grind up the tiny tablet. And mix it in his food. But Loverboy has uncanny taste buds. He detects the tiniest foreign ingredient. And tells me he ain’t gonna stand for this deception. He’ll go on a hunger strike, if necessary. But Loverboy soon learns of my resolve. To see that he takes his medicine. The hard way. I do what I have to do. Kneel down on the floor. Catch him between my knees. From behind. Force open his big mouth. Stick my finger to the back of his tongue. Plop in the pill. Force shut his mouth. Pet his throat. To make him swallow. He’s a bit annoyed. But hey, I’ve served notice. I’m the boss. I’m in command. I call the shots. And Loverboy takes his medicine. –Jim Broede

No comments: