Friday, June 3, 2011

I'd like to dance like Zorba.

I’m trying to persuade my true love to live more like an Athenian, and less like a Spartan. Of course, the style of one’s living is relative. Some of the ancient Spartans may have lived rather lavishly. And some of the Athenians may have lived quite frugally. But in general, I have a feeling that the Athenians lived better than the Spartans. I want to take my true love to Athens this winter. To sample life there in modern times. I know the Greek economy isn’t the best in the world. But for tourists that may be a good thing. We could get some bargains. Of course, I don’t want to be the typical tourist. I want to get to places off the beaten track. That’s even more helpful in the search for bargains. Also, if I travel in Greece I want to use another name. An alias. Zorba. Then maybe the Greeks will think I’m a Greek. If only I could dance like Zorba. –Jim Broede

No comments: