Thursday, June 16, 2011

In odd sorts of ways.

I’m comfortable when I don’t fit. When I’m a square peg in a round hole. Doesn’t bother me. Because I can adapt. I don’t have to be like other people. I don’t have to fit in. I’m perfectly capable of going my own way. That rubs some people the wrong way. They want me to conform. To become a round peg. But I think that’s silly. It’s unnatural. It ain’t me. Of course, I could change my environment. To some extent. By creating a cocoon. A retreat, of sorts. To replenish myself. But I’m not afraid to venture out into the world. In search of adventure. And knowledge. And yes, even love. I especially like people who are different. Different from me. Some of ‘em are neither round or square. They come in odd shapes. Multiple shapes. And I often learn from ‘em. They become teachers. Mentors. Friends. Even a lover. Turns out that our differences bring us together. We learn to appreciate the differences. Grasp ‘em. Savor ‘em. Some how, we learn to accept the world as it is. And even though we don’t conform, we find ways to make the best of life. In that sense, we fit. In odd sorts of ways. –Jim Broede

No comments: