Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's real. It's true.

I keep thinking that I’m living in a novel. Except that it’s true. It ain’t fiction. But I look at my life as better than it’d be in a real novel. In a sense, I’m creating something far better than the written word. By living what I write. I really wouldn’t have to write. But still, I do. Because it’s easy. I simply sit down and write what I’m living. What I’m feeling. In that way, I get a double benefit. I’m assuming that most novelists pretty much make it up. They create stories. But they don’t live the stories. If I were writing a novel, I’d write about a guy that has found a way to live happily half of the year on an island in the Mediterranean Sea. With his true love. And the other half of the year living on a lake in Minnesota. And part of that time with his true love. But in truth, it wouldn’t be a novel. Because it’s non-fiction. It’s real. It’s true. –Jim Broede

No comments: