Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jesus was for the common good.

When it comes to life, I don’t like an everybody-for-himself mentality. I think we’re all in this thing together. We gotta help each other. That’s why I’m for a bevy of government-run social programs. For so-called entitlements. For the common good. That’s just me. It’s the way I was brought up. Tutored. Brainwashed, I guess. I’m not a Christian. I left organized religion. Long ago. Because I prefer being an independent. A free-thinker. But still, some of the Christian principles stuck. I still keep asking myself, what would Jesus do? I was taken to the guy’s philosophy. His attitude. His Sermon on the Mount. One thing for sure, Jesus wouldn’t be a Republican. Especially a modern-day Republican. He’d especially take issue with the lunatic fringe. The Sarah Palins. The Michele Bachmanns. I suspect that Jesus would be abhorred by the evolution of Christianity. He wouldn’t want his name attached to Christianity. Especially the forms practiced by religious conservatives. Because in practice it’s a repudiation of his core beliefs. His philosophy. His principles. At best, it pays only lip service to what he preached. Because Jesus was for the common good. –Jim Broede

No comments: