Monday, June 6, 2011

So many romantic opportunities.

Maybe first and foremost, I’m a romantic idealist. Even before being a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. Because my romantic idealism permeates everything else. That’s the motivating force of my life. Some people tell me there’s no such thing as romantic idealism in the modern age. But that’s not true. I think being romantic is more possible than ever. Because of the way we communicate. By way of modern technology. Makes the world so much smaller. Brings us together. I’m connected to my true love in Sardinia. Daily. And we are able to live together. In Sardinia. In Minnesota. It takes less than half a day to travel to each others' abode. And we’ve got an audio/video hook-up that costs essentially nothing. And though she’s Italian, she speaks English. Fluent English. She teaches English and English literature. There’s natural and convenient connections. Just a few decades ago, this would have been virtually impossible. I’m able to express and live a kind of romantic idealism far more easily than the 18th and 19th century romantics. Because I take advantage of modern technology. Maybe they wrote better prose and poetry. But I write far better love letters. And I can be a half a world away in a single day. So many opportunities for a romantic idealist. –Jim Broede

No comments: