Thursday, June 9, 2011

Which makes me blessed.

I wonder if there’s any fair-mindedness anymore. Or if there ever was such a thing. Seems to me we’re all biased. Unfair, so to speak. And that goes for the media. When I wrote for newspapers, I was tutored to be objective. Fair. Even-handed. I suppose one can be fair and objective to a degree. But not totally. Especially in the modern age. Seems to me that lack of objectivity prevails. Especially in politics. It’s all so partisan. I’d like to be objective. And fair. It’s a good goal to aim for. But the problem is that the people one deals with aren’t being fair. Aren’t playing by the rules. So one often counters with similar tactics. Foul play breeds foul play. I’m willing to take a slap in the face. Turn the other cheek. Maybe once or twice or even three times. But eventually, I’ve had enough. I won’t take the abuse any more. And I slap back. Pow! I’ve lost my objectivity. My sense of fairness. Because my cheek hurts. It stings. From the cuts and bruises. Maybe we conclude that it’s an unfair world. And that if one plays fairly, one will be pulverized. Obliterated. Trampled. Destroyed. That’s why people cheat. They want to gain an advantage. Unfairly. Because they know the other guy is gonna cheat. Sad thing, isn’t it? Oh, I have a friend or two or three that I can trust. Which tells me it’s possible to live fair and square. Maybe with a cloistered few. Fortunately, I have a handful of trusted friends. Which makes me blessed. –Jim Broede

No comments: