Friday, July 1, 2011

Better than being a robot.

In a sense, my life is an open book. In that I write this daily blog. Adds up to about 4,000 threads since I started it three or four years ago. I’ve lost track of the exact number. Lost track of time. That’s unimportant. I didn’t have any grand design for Broodings. Like with my life, I let things happen. Naturally. If that’s possible. This helps make my life a storied life. I just let it unfold. Happen. And in the process, I more or less record my thoughts. I think my life goes through phases. Anyway, I’m looking for meaning. Just like when I read a book. Or an essay. Or a letter. My own meaning. Not your meaning. I’ve been defining myself. Creating myself. In significant ways. I’ve discovered that I’m elusive. Flexible. Adaptable. If nothing else, I’ve learned how to write. My way. Not by the dictates of others. Or, at least that’s the way it seems to me. I could be fooling myself, of course. And I’m merely a robot. A fancy, complex computer. A machine. But believe me, I try to be more. I try to come close to being god himself. By creating. Creating myself. Yes, that’s it. I was born to be a creator. Maybe not the Creator. But a creator. Better than being a robot. –Jim Broede

No comments: